Sunday, August 13, 2006

Carseat Issue Revisited

It's been a couple months and I still haven't solved my carseat and stroller quandaries.

To my husband's frustration I still own four strollers- a double, a single, a lightweight single, and an umbrella stroller. I use all of them for various reasons and situations. None of them made it into a single yard sale this summer. Nada. Still in the garage collecting dust. Hopefully there are no Pretzel Time remnants molding in the underseat baskets.

I thought I had settled on getting rid of the double stroller and the deluxe stroller that originally came with a matching carseat and replacing them both with a sit n' stand model. Now I'm not so sure and I think I'll wait until the baby is a little older to decide what will work best. In the meantime I can still get by with the double stroller and in reality how often am I really going to be strolling through the mall with a three year old and an infant? Yeah. Not much. See how I've totally justified my decision making procrastination?

But there is still this carseat conundrum. (Aren't I coming up with some fun words today?)

I read all your previous suggestions. I've visited Babies R'Us and have received a full unbiased (ha!) consultation by a salesperson, I've read the online comparison reports. We definitely MUST replace the toddler seat that Spicey currently rides in. I'm concerned that it's just not safe anymore aside from the fact that it is TOTALLY trashed after undergoing four years of Cool's abuse.

As for the infant seat, I think we're going to continue with the same seat that we've used for the other two. While it isn't a five-point restraint, many of the seats currently being sold aren't either. It's been well kept, is still current, and has not been recalled. The only difference between it and what is in the store is the fabric cover.

So we've decided to upgrade the toddler seat knowing that by the time Bump is big enough for it Spicey will be in a booster seat assuming that Bump will not be the beefcake that Cool was as an infant (20 pounds at five months! hello!) and need it sooner.

After all the research I've done it's pretty clear that the Britax is going to be the safest, most durable bang for our buck. But man, that price is hard to swallow! Can I really count on it being as safe and in good condition as I want it to be through two children for the next five years? And my second biggest hang up, aside from the price, is that not a single Britax model has a CUP HOLDER. A cup holder! Don't they realize that toddlers do not travel sans sippy cup? That a sippy cup is as good as a third appendage to a small child? That a mother's sanity is bottled in that plastic recepticle with a screw on lid? People! A carseat THAT expensive and they don't have the forethought to attach a CUP HOLDER?! I mean come on! Don't the Britax people know that it's not safe to drive and listen to screaming while reaching backwards to fish a wayward cup out from under the seat? Clearly their test market consists of those really low key, parent pleasing type kids who sit still to be buckled in and then quietly look out the window when driving home even though it's 12:45 and they haven't had lunch and they just left the pediatrician who gave them four immunizations. Gah! What is the carseat world coming to??

So Britax owners: please advise. Which model, why, and what in the world do you do about this lack of cup holderage?

11 comments:

Valarie said...

I guess you don't miss what you never had because it never occurred to me that we have no cup holder, but we've also avoided the ubiquitous sippy.

I can't give any advice on a toddler seat, because we just have the roundabout. It sounds like you want something that will go beyond 40 lbs. I will still give the brand an enthisiastic recommendation based on comfort, safety and ease of installation, though.

tam said...

I am the proud owner of two Britax seats for the car. One is the infant seat which goes forward and backwards and lasts until they are 40 lbs. I LOVE this one...it has lasted through two boys!

The second is the booster. The one that is tall and skinny and I thought I'd love too because it was denim to match the other seat. And, because I thought my girl would be so cute in it. It did. (match). She was (cute).

I don't use it. Ever. I Don't love it. I don't even like it. 150 big ones down the drain because she can't sleep in it. It has no cup holder. AND it won't sit still in the seat no matter how much air I make my girl suck in to make the belt tighter.

Did that help?

I didn't think it would.
(I des-p-i-s-e picking out carseats...the moment you do and it's out of it's box and the box is in the trash with mashed food on top of it so you can no longer return it... the One, the one that's just the perfect seat will get advertised in the next toys r us ad...on sale....with the cup holder...)

you get my drift
(sorry for the post!)

Tara said...

A few months ago we had to upgrade to a bigger car seat because our Sweet Pea outgrew her infant seat at 6 months. We went with the Britax Decathlon (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2404107&cp=2255983.2256187.2256196&parentPage=family) So far I love it! She survived a 12 hour trip, rear-facing, to Michigan last month. I didn't even think about the lack of cup holders because she isn't using one yet. I know they make cup holders that can attach to the car seat. I know that is an extra thing to buy when you have to spend an arm, leg, and kidney to pay for a Britax, but for safety reasons I think it's worth it.

I hope this helps.

brooke said...

I am currently the owner of a Roundabout. Oliver started using itwhen he was 6 months cause he was a fatty and now Charley is in it. I am ready to upgrade to the Marathon though...
I am wanting a new one, our old one is starting to look a bit scruffy. The carseat is so comfortable, kids can sleep in it. I've honestly never had a problem w/ it not having a cup holder. I just kind of squeeze it between their legs and the carseat. Get one. Get the marathon. It goes to a higher weight limit and can be used longer. It's more $$, but I wish that was the one I had originally gotten.

KarenK said...

You people never let me down. Keep the info comin'.

I must have called it the wrong thing- I am looking for an infant-toddler seat, not a booster seat.

So no one has issues with the Happy Meal cup falling on the floor? Yes. I'm one of THOSE moms who lets them eat a Happy Meal AND eat it in the car.

Artemis Rich said...

I'm a Graco owner so cannot advise you on the carseat, however I can give you my experience with cup holders.

My girl doesn't use it. I'll give her a sippy cup and it *still* ends up on the floor. I'll put the sippy cup into the cup holder and within seconds it will be ON. THE. FLOOR.

Because the cup holder isn't for cups. Occassionally she'll put her pacifier in it, or her plastic keys, but God forbid an actual cup should contaminate that little bin.

The irony is that there is also a little bin right next to the cup holder for sundries. That must never be sullied by anything. She revels in its zen simplicity.

There you have it.

brooke said...

Happy Meals Karen? In the car? Please. I would never feed my children such garbage. heehee.

If we go to McD's we get either a juice box or chocolate milk. And if it is choc milk it is transferred IMMEDIATLY to the sippy. I don't have the patience for little people taking the lids off. No way jose.

Kathryn Thompson said...

Not to throw more confusion your way, but I love love love my Cosco Summit. We've had it for a year. It's cheaper, more comfortable (says Laylee), has a cupholder and got great safety ratings as well...

Anonymous said...

We have the Britax Marathon, which is PHENOMENAL. Love it so much. Zibbit was in it when we were rear ended a year ago. Our car was totalled, but she didn't have a scratch or a bruise on her. It's also so comfy for car sleeping. I got it from here, which seems to have the best prices and most fabric selections (plus free shipping!): http://www.specialtybaby.com/carseats.html

Anonymous said...

We have the Roundabaout and LOVE it. Love. It. It's been through two kiddos with no problems or wear. So cushy and comfy and secure. The cup holder has never been an issue for us. When Toddler was in it, he sat next to a cupholder in the van. Now that baby is in it, I slip the cup inbetween his chubby thighs and the side of the seat. He can reach it better there anyway.

"Grandi" said...

Well Karen - as you know - I am SO PAST car seats - however on the happy meal thing - so what is wrong with a nice piece of chicken in a finger sized shape once in a while!! I personally had a filet-o-fish yesterday at the airport and it was every bit as good as I remembered it to be!! Your kids don't have a steady diet of that stuff, so once a while in the car is definitely preferrable to screaming with hunger because you didn't have time for the full 3-course cooking before you left!! You go girl!
Sorry we didn't get to see you over the weekend - your restaurant suggestion was a total hit! Love, R