It's 10:45am and Spicey is still in her bed sleeping. It has been the world's longest weekend with several late nights and high energy days due to a weekend family reunion. She had no nap yesterday and then another late bedtime. She hasn't been sleeping well at night and is waking up for all kinds of things like a drink, being scared of the dark, or just getting out of bed to sleep with us. This morning, around 5:00am I heard her shouting down the hall from her room in a not-very-nice tone. It went like this:
Her: Mommy!
Me: (maybe if I ignore it she'll go back to sleep)
Her: (louder and more commanding) Mommy!
Me: (groggy) Hmmm?
Her: Mommy!
Me: (still pretending to not hear)
So I heard her thump out of her bed, and I say thump because she did not do her usual girly slide over the side until her little pink feet touch the floor. It was a thump that said, "Gasp! What is the matter with you people?!" and then she proceeded to stomp out of her room mumbling something about the "yight" and "turn on the yight!". She flipped on the bathroom light full blast (it has a dimmer) and then stomped back to bed still muttering loudly about the "yight" and something else about it being too dark. And more stomping.
After about a half hour of trying to sleep while the bathroom light blazed down the hallway I quietly got up and dimmed it halfway - I didn't turn it off, mind you - and started to tip-toe back to bed. That's when I heard the most obnoxious from the depths of sassy mouthdom screech from her room:
"TURN! ON! THE! YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
From there she and I duked it out in a 5:00am battle of the wills over how many lights and in which rooms would be left on injected with raging demands for "My! Daddy!" because, you know, Daddy is the nicer parent. And oh my word, don't you use that tone of voice with Mommy. Score 1 for Mommy, 0 for Spicey. We settled on the dim nightlamp in her room and the bathroom light on very, very dim and if you get out of your bed or scream anymore you'll be in bigger trouble, Miss.
Dude. Sugar and spice? Whoever wrote that ridiculous poem was off their rocker.
17 comments:
"Dude. Sugar and spice? Whoever wrote that ridiculous poem was off their rocker"
I am with you girl. With you all the way.
maybe she's a morning person? lol.
That is the most darling. Just turn on the yight, already, Karen! :) I love it love it love it.
Hey, at least no one can accuse the girl of having anything less than a 100% apt blog nickname.
Oh, the things I have to look forward to. I know my Sweet Pea will be like that, and I already feel bad because I know that I will not be very nice if she wakes me up. I am NOT a morning person and I am NOT nice if anyone wakes me up for any reason. I just pray that the Lord will give me strength and a sound mind in these situations.
The sugar and spice poem may not apply, but this one will:
There was a little girl who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
And when she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad,
She was HORRID!
I hope you get a good nap today. You deserve one after that ordeal! It's like: Mommy/Daddy went out last night and had fun; now I'm going to pay them back.
Anyone who can have that much attitude that early in the morning certainly get my admiration! :)
Of course, Spicey will always be a sweet bit of fluff in my book, you know.
Feisty is not sugar and spice either!!! We had a 9:30 p.m. battle last night over cereal!
Man, at 5:00 a.m., I probably would have shut my door and let her have the light. I am soooo not into getting into battle of wills that early in the a.m. I admire that!
Care Bear ALWAYS runs to daddy lately when she gets reprimanded. I'm the evil one, he's the nice one. I HATE THAT!
My kids knew to go to daddy's side of the bed if they wanted something in the night I wasn't nice! Karen, be sure to read Care Bear's latest.
in Monkey's words
"dat Pii-ceeeee" wiping his chin and pulling at his tongue...
Is it like that?
(laughing so dang HARD! of course not at you dear Karen not at you)
I turn on all the yights in my house too when The Rev is working overnight.
Laughing hysterically!
I have had that same conversation/debate at 5am. LOL
At least you'll never wonder what she wants=)!
What a riot!! Save this and read it to her when she has a 2-yr old!! HA!!
My daughter has a crazy fascination with lights too. must have them on or constantly be turning them off and on. She lurves dimmers.
Post a Comment