Wednesday, March 28, 2007

ByBo Budeez

So.

It's Wednesday. The hallowed ByBo Budeez day for Miss Spicey Pants.

I think my favorite thing about her participation in Bible Buddies, aside for the fact that it's an hour of the week when she it totally enthralled and occupied and I didn't have to do anything to get her that way except drop her off, is the songs that she comes home singing.

Spicey's favorite songs are those that allow her to shout with all her heart. Making a joyful noise unto the Lord is not a problem for her. Making not so joyful noises unto her mother when it's time to comb hair is also not a problem for her.

Her most favorite noisy church song goes something like this:

No-no-no-no-no-no
God's not dead
NO!
He's aliiiiive
God's not dead
NO!
He's aliiiiiiive

These are the only words she can remember to the song. I'm sure you can guess that the "No!" part is shouted with all her might with a fist raised in the air. She loves to sing it to Jack and he watches her with wide eyes, flinching when she shouts and shakes her fist in the air. When she's done she reverts back to the baby talk that she speaks only to him and coos oh-so-sweetly, "Did you like that? Did you like that Jacky-Jacky?"

Yep, it's a very telling song in regards to her personality.

Her other favorite song, also a shouter, goes like this:

Ding-dong
ding-dong
church bells ring
Come to church!
Come to church!
Ding-dong-ding

It comes with fantastic bell ringing flailing arm motions and bossy lyrics. Totally up her alley.
And let's not forget snacks. Tonight when I asked her about the story they heard she told me it was about Jesus. When I asked what Jesus did in the story she said, "He told His people to eat snacks." Yep, Jesus was a Nazarene alright. Isn't there scripture somewhere that says "Where two or more Nazarenes are gathered there will be snacks"?

In Bible Buddies she is also learning about accepting Jesus as her personal savior. This is great. I like that. But at three years old this concept is a toughy for her to grasp. In fact, it freaks her out just a wee bit. One night as I tucked her in she was wigging out because Jesus was in her heart and she wanted him to GET! OUT! while tugging furiously on her jammy shirt. Then there was the time that she scraped her knee and demanded a band-aid quick! before Jesus came out. She has also accepted Strawberry Shortcake into her heart as well. You know, to keep Jesus company. And sweet smelling too.

Okay, much of that was sacreligious. I know. But did I mention that she is also terrified of Jesus coming to get her? You know, the whole second coming thing. Picture a small girl in bed asking her mother in a tiny voice, "Mommy? Is Jesus going to come get me? Shut the door mommy. I don't want Jesus to get me." Sometimes I am at a total loss as to how to explain to her that these are good things. It's a lot of bizarre sounding doctrine to a child who has only been alive for thirty-six some odd months. Shoot, this is a lot of bizarre sounding doctrine for grown-ups too. But yes I do believe it and I would bank my life on it. I do bank my life on it, actually.

Ah. My Spicey Girl. It would be a boring, boring life without her in it. And a whole lot quieter.

24 comments:

Mary Craig said...

Look at that face! She is gorgeous. Love the enthusiasm that girl has!

Bunny has been asking all sorts of questions like that lately. Everything that dies (even the dandelion she picked yesterday) goes up in heaven to play with our dog, our fish, my daddy, and her orange balloon she lost at a street fair last summer. Hard to explain some of this stuff!

Heather said...

Oh the preschoolers singing church songs. What would I do without them? :)

kate said...

Oh man. Sacreligious or not, the things about the band-aid and Strawberry Shortcake are FUNNY! It is sweet how their little minds put info together...

I agree with you about the difficulty of some concepts at the ripe old age of 3. When I taught a 3 y.o. class at a Christian preschool we had a song about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and the fiery furnace. It scared ME, so I can only imagine what some of the kids thought.

Rachel said...

she is just so pretty. already! and very very cute :)

Anonymous said...

Is that the NIV of that scripture? Nearly Inspired Version? I think my bible reads "Where two or more UPC people are gathered together, their seams will bust"

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

Heth said...

She is precious. And strikingly beautiful.

someone else said...

Oh yes, gotta have those snacks. Isn't that a real scripture? I thought it was a whole gospel on its own.

Poor Spicey. At least you know she's listening.

Anonymous said...

"Train a child in the way [she] should go, and when [she] is old [she] will not turn from it." Prov. 22:3 Bless you for your consistent efforts--what an honor and calling you have with Miss Spicy. Gotta love that gusto! She reminds me of someone . . .

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture of your daughter!

My favorite Sundays are those that involve our little kids choir. I especially love the kids that stand in the front row and dont sing, except for maybe a line or two that they enthusiastically shout out. Too funny.

Trisha said...

That picture is gorgeous! It should be blown up and hung on a wall. Someday soon, I hope to have a spicey little girl in my life. They just seem like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of Spicey:)

Such hard concepts to grasp and although I love hearing my kids retell the bible stories they've learned because they tell them with such excitement and wide eyes, it really almost kills me to hear Little D tell me he wants to go to heaven right now. Oh man...how do I even respond to that?

Keithclan said...

I have a friend whose niece told her one Christmas:
"We celebrate Christmas because baby Jesus was born in a manger. And he came to save the world. But the we hung him on a cross and he died."
And my friend said:
"No! I mean, well, yes, the people did hang him on a cross. But he came back to life! And.... " Then she realized there was not a lot to say that would make it better.

So do you talk to them about everything from birth, and hope it doesn't seem to weird, or sugar coat it all until they are older, and hope that finding out the Bible is not just happy stories isn't like finding out there isn't a Santa Claus? (If you find a definitive answer, let me know) :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet!

However, I question the necessity of teaching such "advanced" theology to children who can't quite understand it, nor filter it properly.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous picture! I had no idea BB's touched on the 2nd coming!

the Hatchel family said...

I'd say she was definely worth the trade!

Kristen said...

I think there is nothing better in the world than hearing a pre-school aged child singing with all their might to the Lord! I can just picture Spicey doing this.

What a kid that Spicey!

Carbon said...

Jesus is Spicey's boogiemonster? That is downright funny.

R said...

Love this. Once again - I FORGOT about Bybo Budeez. :(

Rachel said...

Ah! MC and I had the same first thought- SHE IS GORGEOUS!

Anonymous said...

I love this girl--she's got personality oozing from every pore. I went through a stage of being afraid that Jesus was going to come back while I was in the shower, so I would stand there and pray.."If it's going to be now, please just wait until I'm dressed!" I pictured myself standing in line at the gate naked with all the kids from my class staring at me...kind of ruined the excitement for the second coming for awhile.

Kathryn Thompson said...

This the best thing. The best I have read in so long. You are the master. Karen. You are so funny and so is the spicenator. AHHH. I love laughing this hard.

Anonymous said...

ahhhh! I love that spicey! She is a hoot! And so gorgeous! Love that photo and that post!

Sandy said...

Accepting Strawberry Shortcake into her heart to keep Jesus company is just about the sweetest thing I have ever heard. She has got "joy, joy, joy, joy down in her heart" for sure!

JunieRose2005 said...

Ahhh- such a cutie!


Junie