Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fare-thee-well Friends!

So I'm off for a little regular-life hiatus for a week or so. Tomorrow we leave for the family reunion. Then I return, do some quick laundry and re-pack, and head to the antiques show. Perhaps I will get a little blogging in while at the reunion if we can pick up some free wireless internet floating hither and yon. But I can't guarantee it. I may very well be too busy building sand castles with my kids, drifting like a beached whale on a lounge floatie during naptime, and eating s'mores. Cooked over a hot fire. On the beach. Yes. Be envious. Be very envious. This place? It will be bliss on a stick. But with lots of small children running around.


After a long afternoon and yet another discussion about the implications of Cool's teeth gnashing issue yesterday and additional consequences for growling and rolling his eyes at me, he returned from his room with a lip quivering apology, tearful hugs all around, and these peace offerings of artwork:

This child? Ilovehimmadly.

Sewing therapy has produced several new pieces. They're all from the same pattern but for three different little girls in my family, all of whom I shall see this week. Behold, I give you sundresses! This is the easiest pattern I have EVER made. Each dress, once cut out, took less than an hour to assemble. You can see the same dress made by one of my sew-happy blogging friends HERE. The only thing missing is little bloomers to cover a diaper. I'll have to get little leg and tummy measurements first though.
The Birkenstocks? Not here yet. My ear is keenly listening for the deep hum of the UPS truck driving up the street.

Now I must go finish laundry and begin the never ending task of packing all the clothing and garb that travelling with children requires. Good times.

I'll see you on the other side of Vacationdom. Bon voyage to me!

14 comments:

TJ said...

If you would like to read about a Southern Family Reunion I just posted one of my stories.
:-D

Anonymous said...

Oh! The dresses! The art from Cool! I am dying from the cuteness pouring out of my screen!

owlhaven said...

Bon voyage! The dresses! Cuteness !

Chilihead2 said...

Oh my goodness those are some cute dresses! And I love bloomers with sundresses!

And that sweet boy, Cool...heart melting.

someone else said...

It's a testament to your efforts at good mommy-ing that he knows how to apologize. Keep it up - you're a great mommy.

Julie said...

The dresses are adorable. It kind of makes me want to sew...kind of. I think I could actually handle those :-)

Carbon said...

My daughter would just die over those dresses. She became a dress fanatic some months ago and wears dresses every.single.day. You can't entice her with anything else. not even skorts!

Those are beautiful. You have great skills samurai.

Blackeyedsue said...

I LOVE that fabric. What was the pattern number and brand. They are LOVELY!!!

Heth said...

Those dresses are so yummy! I love the fabrics together. Can a little girl wear all three at once?

GiBee said...

Oh! Those dresses are adorable!!! I LOOO-HHuuuv the fabrics you used! So shaby-chic!

Anonymous said...

I would love a skirt made from that material :)

Kristen said...

And I can not wait to put my little girls in those gorgeous dresses!! WE LOVE YOU KAREN!!!

Anonymous said...

Have an absolutely fabulous vacation. I want to sew those dresses. You are amazing!

emlouisa said...

I. Love. Those. Sundresses. I. Want. A. Girl.

Have fun on your trip.